When severe weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps were worth the time.
At Midway Services, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time might not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a protected place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to return outdoors, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Midway Services prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Clearwater, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in Clearwater or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 727-219-2471 or schedule an appointment with Midway Services through our online scheduler.