Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your house, being comfortable in your new area regardless of outdoor temperatures is key. However, they can create a unique problem for heating and cooling. This is due to the fact adding ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the increased load, since it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most affordable possibilities is to get a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Learn more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition could be a fantastic option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, because they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they shift heat to make your addition more comfortable. In reality, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for extra rebates and lower your energy bills for years to come.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Since each room typically has a dedicated indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is extremely useful if you have a area with specific temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that don’t have ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s smarter than adding ductwork and using your existing heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is pricey. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the total cost will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system might become overwhelmed. When your existing heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your house prior to the addition. This may overwhelm your system and make it wear down more quickly.
- Your comfort could suffer. As your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort could be reduced if your system is forced to manage a bigger area. Your heating and cooling may be less efficient, and your electricity and gas costs might increase since the system needs to operate more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Midway Services, we’ll help you get the correct size for your new space. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in sizable energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or more when routinely maintained. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in contrast to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Midway Services for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you choose the recommended model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Midway Services can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently completed one, we can help. Contact us at 727-219-2471 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.